I live far away from my parents. My sister does most of the care giving for them. How can I help?
Being physically distant can be very hard to know what to do to help. I offer you two answers, one is friendly and one is tough.
My Friendly Answer:
- Focus on your sister – she is the one you can help the most
- Be part of your sister’s “Circle of Care”
- Don’t argue with her
- Listen, Listen, Listen
- Don’t underestimate the stresses of the situations that occur on a daily bases
- Trust her
- Trust what she is say and doing
- Find others who can help out and give your sister a break, before she breaks
- Thank your sister for all she does for the family – thank her every time you talk with her
My Tough Answer – All of the above PLUS:
- Get home more often
- Get extra money to either travel back more often or to help hire extra support services
- Excuses are not forgotten
- Your sister lives through all daily issues. You hear about a few. Big difference.
- Your family really needs a second pair of hands – yours, not a second set of ears
- Daughters are not the best & only caregivers – you just need practice. Get some practice
Are you still reading? Decide which answer serves you and your family the best!