To offer education and support to family caregivers. We are an Internet-based registered Canadian charity. 90% of our work is done on-line and by leveraging technologies, 10% is done by producing local educational events. We leverage technologies in everything that we do, ensuring greater reach and sustainability.
About our charity:
The Board of Directors, along with other organizers and volunteers know how life changing caregiving can be. We know of the great joys, honour and value that our efforts make to the people for whom we care. We also know of the great stresses, extra financial responsibilities and added pressures that caregiving brings to our lives and our worlds. We understand the complicated, seemingly endless issues and efforts that go into caring.
Our website was launched in 2008 to offer a forum for peer support allowing caregivers to share their stories, their journeys and celebrate the lives and gifts of loved ones. We also offer a place where caregivers can learn and gain insights into the many issues of caregiving. In 2012, we changed our name to “Caregiving Matters” to better reflect the importance of family caregiving. We believe that:
- Caregiving does matter
- There are many issues or “matters” surrounding caregiving
Examples of our technology-based projects using webinars, website videos, DVDs and podcasts includes:
- Protecting seniors from elder abuse 2010
- Celebrating the diversity in family caregiving 2011
- Passport to wellness for family caregivers 2011- 2012
- The ABCs of preventing elder abuses 2012 – 2013
- The ABCs of active and healthy living for disabled older adults 2012 – 2014
- The ABCs of golf for family caregivers 2013 -2014
- The Power of Attorney Project 2014 – 2016
- My retirement is successful because… 2015 – 2016
- Older Caregivers Cafes’ 2016
- Caregiving Connections 2016
- The Estate Planning Project 2017 2018
- The ABC’s of Caregiving to Seniors Project 2018 -2019
- Volunteer Project, community “Recruitment Fair” supporting seniors 2019 – 2020
- Navigating Loss Project 2019 – 2021
- On-line elder abuse resources, 2020 – 2021
- Protecting people with dementia against elder abuses, 2021 – 2022
- Safety strategies for seniors, 2021 – 2022
In March 2014, we were honoured that our charity was selected to deliver the “Key Note Speech” at the Ontario Government’s Volunteer Awards Ceremonies.
Our business model is sustainable because we are an Internet-based charity, totally run and managed by volunteers from various professional disciplines. Our measured growth, with increased community and corporate support, reflects how we are moving forward to reach out to caregivers and their families, including seniors in new and exciting ways. We focus on delivering real value by producing programs and projects that have positive impacts on individuals, families, and communities. “Caregiving Matters” is a charity for our times, because of our times. We are pioneering new ways to reach, support and help family caregivers as they deal with the changes in their families.
The former legal name of our registered Canadian charity was “Losing Our Parents”, # 82293 0616 RR0001. The new legal name is: “Caregiving Matters”. The number remains the same.
Our supporters include: The Government of Canada, The Province of Ontario, The Ontario Trillium Foundation, Shoppers Drug Mart, GlaxoSmith Kline, Google Grants, The Care Guide, Careconnect, The Healing Cycle Foundation, Caregiver Solutions, Design&Develop, Comcare, The Elder Planning Counselor, Hydro One.