Lawyer Ann Soden shares some basic information about power of attorney laws in Quebec. During our conversation, she speaks to the following POA issues:
- What should I do to ensure my finances are taken care of in the event that I have lost my ability to manage them on my own? How will I know that I will be cared for?
- What is the name of the document created for this purpose?
- Can I give authority to someone when I still have the ability to make my own decisions, but no longer have the same mobility?
- How do I decide who to give the power to and what is that person called in the document? What if something happens to that person?
- What duties does the person I appoint have towards me, my finances and my care?
- What if I don’t want the person that I appointed to have unrestricted powers over my finances?
- Can I revoke the document? And if so, how?